Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Flavorful, fragrant dish. A nice different twist for rice
Make and share this Basmati Rice With Black Cardamom recipe from Food.com.
- Split open the cardamom pods and remove the sticky seeds, discarding the pods.
- Separate the seeds with a sharp knife and crush them with a mortar and pestle or in a coffee grinder.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the cardamom seeds and bay leaf, and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and cook, stirring, until onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add basmati rice, cook, stirring, until the grains look milky and opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Add water, salt and pepper and bring to simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let steam for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
Wordeful and flavorful. I love basmati rice and this was very easy and quick to make. I used white cardamom instead for black cause I didn't have any. Thanks fo sharing! Made it for PAC Fall 2008.