Recipe by MarieRynr
This is the perfect summer accompaniment to grilled meats. Very colourful and full of flavour.
Top Review by Amanda June H.
This recipe would be better if you cut down the salt and pepper by half. My instincts were telling me 2 tsp of salt (especially with already salty chicken stock) and 1/2 tsp of pepper was probably too much, but I followed the recipe and ended up with a too salty meal with so much pepper flavor that my mouth was slightly burning and nose was running. If I made it again I would make it with 1 tsp of salt (maybe even less) and 1/4 tsp pepper. It would be much more edible that way I am sure.
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 -5 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Place the zucchini cubes on a baking sheet with sides and toss with 1 TBs of the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for about 15 minutes, stirring periodically so it browns evenly, until it is tender and golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Melt the butter and the remaining 1 TBS olive oil together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes until soft. Add the rice and continue to cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, ujtil the rice slides around easily in the pan. Stir in the broth, 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and bring to a low boil ove medium high heat. Reduce the heat tolow, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until fluffy and the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Remove the rice from the heat, add the roasted peppers, roasted zucchini, parsley, and basil. Stir gently to combine. Season to taste if required. Serve warm.