Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from the show Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Episode: Chicken Tikka Masala. I posted this to go with the Masala Sauce(Bobby Flay), which I posted separately. I am trying to replicate a recipe I tried up in Conn. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons black mustard seeds (or yellow if that's all you have)
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 6 cardamom pods
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 1⁄4 cups simmering water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- Put the rice in a mesh strainer and rinse with cold water several times. Set aside and let drain.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they just begin to pop, about 20 seconds. Add the onion and saute until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, rice, the simmering water, salt, pepper and lime juice, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, about 10 minutes Fold in the peas, then over, reduce heat to low, and cook 8 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove and discard the cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon and fluff with a fork.
- Transfer the pilaf to a serving dish and serve.
I left out the salt, other than that made as written. Made for a perfect side with one of my chicken recipes. Very easy to throw together, we all devoured it. Made for PRMR tag.
Fantastic and delicious rice! This is now my go-to Indian rice. Even DH likes it! And so easy to make, too. I used yellow mustard seeds, no salt, and brown basmati rice, which required about 10 extra minutes to cook. Thanks, Sharon123! Made for Newest Zaar tag game.