Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This basmati pilaf dish is fantastic, I have made it many times!
Make and share this Basmati Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -5 tablespoons butter or 3 -5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup currants (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely minced orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more for more spicy, or omit the pepper flakes)
- 1 3⁄4 cups good quality chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Saute the onion and almonds over medium heat until onion is soft (not brown) and the almonds are golden.
- Stir in rice; cook stirring for about 4 minutes to release flavor.
- Stir in chopped carrot, currants, orange peel, cinnamon, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Carefully stir in chicken broth and water into the rice mixture, stir slightly with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, and the rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Season with salt.
I thought this was just okay but I partnered it with bourbon-chicken-45809 and the combination was wonderful
Just fabulous, and even color-coordinated with salmon! Didn't have an orange on hand, so used dried orange peel with a few drops of orange extract, and had to substitute golden raisins for the currants. I'll happily make it again. Thank you!