Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great authentic basmati rice to be served with chicken tikka masala or chicken tandoori. Don't be intimidated by the spice mix, they blend very well. If you like indian food, you'll appreciate this dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inch)
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes. DO NOT skip this step, its very important.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed.
- Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot.
- Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot.
- Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
- Remove the pods, cloves, cinnamon stick before serving.
WOW! For the past 12 or so years I have Ventured down to Indian Palace here in Tulsa, occasionally to grab a meal. Every time I'm there I can't get enough of the rice! I can't tell you just how good it is! It's almost like a butter flavor...but you can't quite put your finger on it. I always get some to go...and can just eat it as is. This recipe IS THAT RICE! WOW! Thank you SO much for this! I can literally make this rice at home now! I made a Chicken & Chickpea Marsala last night, and this RICE may have been the best part of the entire meal. This rice blends here perfectly with just about ALL Indian spices, and compliments the flavors! There should be a button for 10 stars!
I have always loved the rice you get at Indian restaurants, and this is exactly what I was looking for. My family loves it so much I have to make it in double batches.
Have made this 3 times and each time I have either been asked for the recipe or in the case of this evening to make it again. Thank you for sharing.