1/1 Photo of Basmati Rice - Indian Style
1 hr 10 mins
Cristina Barry's Note:
Great authentic basmati rice to be served with chicken tikka masala or chicken tandoori. Don't be intimidated by the spice mix, they blend very well. If you like indian food, you'll appreciate this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes. DO NOT skip this step, its very important.
- 2Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed.
- 4Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot.
- 5Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 6Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot.
- 7Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
- 8Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- 9Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- 10Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
- 11Remove the pods, cloves, cinnamon stick before serving.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basmati Rice - Indian Style
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.6
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods