Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great authentic basmati rice to be served with chicken tikka masala or chicken tandoori. Don't be intimidated by the spice mix, they blend very well. If you like indian food, you'll appreciate this dish.
- Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes. DO NOT skip this step, its very important.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed.
- Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot.
- Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot.
- Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
- Remove the pods, cloves, cinnamon stick before serving.
It is wonderful! I have made it three times in the last month to go with different dishes!
Very good recipe and easy to put together. Had the in-laws over (MIL is a great indian cook) and she enjoyed it very much!!!
Wonderful flavor that was a huge hit with everyone! The spices made the rice sweet and savory. It was great with a variety of other indian dishes, but I think we'll make it again as just a simple side dish. Thank you for this wonderful dish!