Recipe by Sackville
I loved baked rice dishes as I find the rice always comes out nice and fluffy. You can make this with water, but it has infinitely more flavour when you use good, homemade chicken stock.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
What a great method for a great-tasting pilaf! I did use the chicken stock SG suggests and loved the results. The spice combination was wonderful and this was a great accompaniment to an Indian-style chicken I made.
- 500 g basmati rice
- 100 g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 4 -6 slices lemons, zest of
- 1 liter boiling chicken stock or 1 liter water
- salt and pepper, to taste.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 160 C in a fan oven of 180 C (about 350 F) in conventional oven.
- Rinse the rice well in water, then drain.
- Melt two thirds of the butter in a saucepan.
- Saute the onion in the butter for about five minutes, then add the rice, herbs, spices and lemon zest.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the stock or water along with some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put the whole mixture in an oven-proof casserole dish, cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to stand for five minutes, then remove the lid and fluff with a fork, mixing in the remaining butter.