Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I loved baked rice dishes as I find the rice always comes out nice and fluffy. You can make this with water, but it has infinitely more flavour when you use good, homemade chicken stock.
- 500 g basmati rice
- 100 g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 4 -6 slices lemons, zest of
- 1 liter boiling chicken stock or 1 liter water
- salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C in a fan oven of 180 C (about 350 F) in conventional oven.
- Rinse the rice well in water, then drain.
- Melt two thirds of the butter in a saucepan.
- Saute the onion in the butter for about five minutes, then add the rice, herbs, spices and lemon zest.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the stock or water along with some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put the whole mixture in an oven-proof casserole dish, cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to stand for five minutes, then remove the lid and fluff with a fork, mixing in the remaining butter.
What a great method for a great-tasting pilaf! I did use the chicken stock SG suggests and loved the results. The spice combination was wonderful and this was a great accompaniment to an Indian-style chicken I made.