Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Boiled rice is fine but often improves when other ingredients are added. The mushrooms and zucchini add texture and flavour to this dish. It is also a lot more colourful, serve with chicken dishes and curries.
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons dessicated unsweetened coconut
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (optional)
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 ounce butter
- Melt 1 oz of butter in a medium sized pan and fry the rice and cumin seeds till the rice is translucent.
- To the rice add the coconut, stock cube and lemon rind, and water. Bring to the boil, stir rice ONCE, reduce heat cover the pan and cook for 12 minutes turn heat off and leave to stand.
- While the rice is cooking :-.
- Melt the other oz butter in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms and zucchini till just soft. Add to the rice and serve.
I really liked this recipe very much. The rice came out perfectly using this method. The cumin and coconut really made this rice extra special. This recipe reminds me of well made pilaf. Thank you Brian for posting this recipe - will be making it again!
What a healthy and delicious rice, you could eat this by itself quite easily! I obediently followed the directions and produced perfect rice (I added the cumin seeds), to which I then added the gently sauteed vegetables. I did omit the coconut, Brian, sorry about that, I don't particularly like dessicated coconut, altho I don't mind coconut milk/cream. A flavoursome and delicious rice, thanks, Brian!