Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This can be easily doubled or tripled for a buffet. Serve it with beef tenderloin and you've got yourself a first class meal!
For the Rice
- 4 cups cold water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 inches fresh ginger
For the vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
To finish the salad
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant, soaked in
- 1⁄2 cup marsala, until soft (20 minutes)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pine nuts
- To cook the rice, bring 1 1/2 cups of the water and 2 teaspoons of the salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the wild rice, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 1 hour.
- Combine the basmati rice and the remaining 2 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan.
- Let sit for 1 hour.
- Then bring to a boil, add the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and the ginger, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice has absorbed all of the water and is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Discard the ginger.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the nutmeg and cumin in a small bowl and whisk in the lemon juice.
- Add the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- To finish the salad, combine the wild rice and basmati rice while still warm in a large bowl.
- Toss the vinaigrette with the rice, then stir in the green onions, currants and any remaining Marsala, and nuts.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature.