Recipe by Lady D.
If you're looking for something new to try - this is it!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Lady Di, this was excellent, made it tonight, along side of a baked hamberger pie...I used chicken broth instead of veggie broth, I left out the cardamon pods, and used walnuts, even without the cardamon pods, it was still delicious...we love basmati rice, it has such a wonderful nutty flavor, this is a delicious side dish to any meal...I will be making this again, DH and myself both enjoyed it...thanks for posting! :-)
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 -2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted nuts
- parsley or cilantro
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- **Rinserice before cooking** Put rice in large bowl of cold water and swill around, pouring out cloudy water as needed.
- Leave to soak for 30 min in remaining rinsing water.
- In lrg pan, fry onion, garlic, and carrot in oil.
- Stir in rice and spices and cook 1-2 minutes, so grains are coated in oil.
- Pour in stock or water, add bay leaf, and season well.
- Bring to boil; cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat without lifting lid.
- Leave for 5 minutes.
- If rice is cooked, there will be small steam holes in the center.
- Discard bay leaf/cardamom pods.
- Stir in nuts and check seasoning.
- Scatter parsley over mixture.
- Can be reheated!