Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This yummy rosti version contains bacon and onions. Potatoes are best if cooked the day before.
- 2 lbs potatoes, cooked, skin on, completely cooled
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into very fine onion rings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lard (or use butter or oil)
- 50 g bacon, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Peel potatoes, grate or cut into thin strips and mix with the salt.
- Cut onions into very fine onion rings.
- Melt the butter and lard (or oil) in a frying pan. Add the diced bacon, onions and potato and fry gently, stirring gently and frequently. If you want a slimmer version, you can pre-cook the bacon and this way omit the bacon fat.
- Bring together into a cake and cover with an upside-down plate. Fry over gentle heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour the milk over the top and fry, covered, for about another 10 minutes. Tip out onto the plate and serve.
This is getting a five from bacon loving DH. I must be a freak because I thought I would prefer it with less bacon. :) I started this in a non stick pan that turned out to stick like heck! When I inverted the plate (seriously hot btw) the bottom crust remained in the pan. Undaunted I hauled out the pan I should have used in the first place - cast iron. I stuck the bottom back on and finished them in that. We thoroughly enjoyed these potatoes. Thanks for posting. Made for Food.Commandos ~ ZWT 7
Great comfort food, a central European take on hashed browned potatoes. Unlike the previous reviewer I used my seasoned cast iron skillet from the beginning and it came out dark but perfect. I added a dollop of sour cream and could easily picture it alongside a couple of fried eggs. Very tasty and filling!
I had a baked potato left over from dinner and decided to use it to make this for our breakfast. It truly went together pretty easy and I had no trouble with it sticking (I did use spray before starting) Loved the addition of the bacon and onions and I even added some sliced jalapenos that I had pickled from the garden. It does remind me of crusty hash browns and we really enjoyed. Right at the end I sprinkled with grated cheddar cheese and enjoyed that addition.