Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
This is a Swiss cookie which is made at Christmas time. It is a lovely combination of chocolate and spice and has the added bonus of being both dairy and gluten-free, ideal for those who have dietary issues. Please note: Refrigeration and drying times are included in the cooking time. From Canadian Living Magazine.
- In a food processor, pulse together the chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cloves until finely ground.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in the superfine sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture, almonds and kirsch until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into rectangles.
- Wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the work surface with half of the granulated sugar.
- Working with 1 piece of dough, turn 2 or 3 times to coat with sugar.
- Roll out to a scant 1/2" thickness.
- Using a 2" heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut into hearts.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place on a sheet of waxed paper and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Let dry for 1 hour.
- Line rimless baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Arrange the cookies, about 1 inch apart, on the pans.
- Bake in the centre of a 325 degree F oven just until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to racks and let cool completely.