A response to a request on the boards, here's a flavorful use of zucchini and aromatic basil!
Make and share this Basil Zucchini Orzo Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1 pinch dried oregano
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1⁄4 lb dry orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese or 1⁄4 cup mizithra cheese, grated freshly
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt in a colander and toss (this allows the zucchini to"sweat" out excess water); let stand for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, then remove and gently squeeze liquid from zucchini.
- In a food processor whir together the basil leaves, oil, garlic, and oregano until well incorporated.
- Place mixture in a large bowl and stir together with the zucchini and set aside.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil; add orzo and reduce the heat to medium, cooking until orzo is just tender, about 10-12 minutes; drain the pasta well.
- Stir the pasta into the zucchini mixture, then add the lemon juice, grated cheese, and fresh parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving as a salad, or serve warm at room temperature as a dinner side dish.
- Makes about 8 servings.