1/2 Photos of Basil Zucchini Orzo Salad
A response to a request on the boards, here's a flavorful use of zucchini and aromatic basil!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1 pinch dried oregano
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 lb dry orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup asiago cheese or 1/4 cup mizithra cheese, grated freshly
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Sprinkle zucchini with salt in a colander and toss (this allows the zucchini to"sweat" out excess water); let stand for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, then remove and gently squeeze liquid from zucchini.
- 2In a food processor whir together the basil leaves, oil, garlic, and oregano until well incorporated.
- 3Place mixture in a large bowl and stir together with the zucchini and set aside.
- 4In a large pot over high heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil; add orzo and reduce the heat to medium, cooking until orzo is just tender, about 10-12 minutes; drain the pasta well.
- 5Stir the pasta into the zucchini mixture, then add the lemon juice, grated cheese, and fresh parsley.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Chill for at least an hour before serving as a salad, or serve warm at room temperature as a dinner side dish.
- 8Makes about 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basil Zucchini Orzo Salad
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.2
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.1 mg
- Sodium 407.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.8 g