Recipe by dahlia
This is my favorite pesto recipe; rich but healthy due to "good" fats from olive oil and walnuts. It comes from "The Omega Diet." I usually freeze half the recipe for future use.
Top Review by Stretch751
I never use butter in my pesto...I had an Italian friend tell me that a handful of parsley will keep the pesto green (basil browns when the leaves are bruised). if you freeze, she told me, top of the container with olive oil to seal it and keep it fresh.
- 2 cups packed basil leaves (approx. 2 oz)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place basil, olive oil, walnuts, garlic and salt (if using) in food processor.
- Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add Parmesan and butter (if using) and blend 5-10 seconds more.
- Just before serving, add 2 Tbsp of hot pasta water from cooked pasta.
- Serve over pasta with bread and salad.