Recipe by Demandy
Glamorous summery drink. Leftover syrup can be used to make lemonade or to flavor iced tea. From Gourmet.
Basil Lemon Syrup
- 4 cups packed fresh basil sprigs
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 9 slices lemon zest (4 x 1 inch)
Gimlets (use 1 cup basil lemon syrup)
- 3⁄4 cup vodka
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup ice cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Syrup: Bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Let stand at room temperature, covered, 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container and chill until cold, about 1 hour.
- Strain syrup through a sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids. Syrup keeps, covered and chilled, 5 days.
- Gimlets: Stir together all ingredients in a pitcher until cold, then strain into 8- to 10-ounce glasses (such as Old Fashioned) half filled with ice.