Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I promise this is one of the nicest ways to enjoy quality tomatoes and basil. Like I say, don't make this if you can't get hold of home-grown or vine-ripened tomatoes. It's not worth doing. And don't use your tomatoes from the fridge.
- 4 tomatoes (don't make this unless your tomatoes are home grown or vine ripened!)
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (best you can afford)
- fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Slice the tomatoes horizontally.
- Arrange on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with the oil, scatter the basil leaves over and season with the salt and pepper.
Jan, this is such a simple recipe, but it is one of the best! You have to have the best tomatoes and fresh basil to make a go of it. I have been haunting my farmer's market buying the most wonderful tomatoes. We have had this dish many times during the summer. The taste can't be beat. Thanks!
Excellent! I used the most expensive olive oil we could find and it really does make a difference. Also, used tomatoes from our garden. Which is also a must! Used sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. DD liked it too. DH put some crumbled feta on his. I think I'll try fresh mozarella with mine next time. Thanks for the recipe!
Simple, direct ... and wonderful. Do NOT waste it on so-so tomatoes. Wait until they are at thier best.