Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This delightful salad is easy to prepare and a wonderful and light addition to any meal.
- 7 -8 ounces of fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup loosely packed chiffonade fresh basil
- 1 medium avocado
- 6 medium fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium plum tomato
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lime
- 1⁄8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely minced
- Hard boil eggs, peel and set aside.
- Wash spinach, removing tough ends, and tear into bite size pieces and place in large salad bowl.
- Add chiffonade of basil to spinach.
- Wash the mushrooms and slice thin, add to salad bowl.
- Wash tomato, dice; adding to salad bowl.
- Peel, pit and slice avocado, lengthwise, place in salad bowl along with feta cheese.
- Remove about 1 teaspoon of lime zest, cut lime in half and juice.
- In a blender jar, combine the lime zest and juice with remaining ingredients for the vinaigrette, pulse until thoroughly blended, pour over salad ingredients tossing to coat.
- Divide salad mixture into 4 equal portions and place on chilled salad plates.
- Thinly slice egg and garnish each salad with egg slices.
- Add a few grinds of fresh black pepper and serve.
I am rating the dressing, not the salad as a whole. Delicious, but I found I needed 1/2 cup of olive oil, instead of the 1/4 it called for when using on a lettuce, pepper, tomato and feta salad. Nice southwestern flair!
I loved this salad; it's the perfect blend of tart, salty and tangy for me. The soft blandness of the avocado, hard-cooked egg and mushrooms are perfect companions to the slightly acidic tomato, sweet basil and salty cheese. I really liked the tart vinaigrette itself and plan to use it on other salads as well. This was an outstanding recipe; thanks so much!
Delightful! I enjoyed this well balanced, refreshing salad. The only thing, I sauteed my shitake mushrooms before adding to the salad. They are not to be eaten raw from the research I`ve done. I used herb and pepper goat cheese in place of the feta. It gave a nice creaminess to the salad. The vinaigrette was nice and light. The lime yummy! I cut the black pepper to 1/2 teaspoon and blended it in the blender.