Recipe by Oolala
From "Tampa Treasures" which I believe is a Junior League Cookbook.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
A great meatball recipe which we all really enjoyed. And I do so prefer baking meatballs in the oven. I made the meatballs from a really flavoursome, top quality ground veal/pork which my butcher sells. The only changes I made were minor. I increased the number of cloves of garlic (I usually do); I used 4 cloves, which I grated. I used two in the meatball mixture and two in the sauce. I also grated the onion, and used a whole onion, medium-sized, and I used my Vegetable Stock Recipe #135453, which I’ve been a big fan of ever since I found it, instead of the beef stock. The balance of herbs and spices was just right for my taste, and the sauce (I used low fat sour cream which tasted fine) was so deliciously flavoursome and creamy that it wasn’t necessary to add any butter to the noodles which I served the meatballs over. As a side dish, I served Microwave Lemon Garlic Broccoli Recipe #132765. By the way, I also covered the meatballs loosely with foil until the last 10 minutes. Thank you, Oolala, for a wonderful recipe, which I’ll certainly be making again.
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 8 ounces sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in small bowl and combine with milk and egg to soak up moisture.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter; saute the onion until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread mixture with the onion, beef, pork, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and mix well.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs and arrange on a lightly greased broiler rack.
- Bake 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter and saute the garlic for 1 minute. Add the flour, stirring well.
- Cook 1 minute. Gradually add the broth, stirring until smooth; bring to a boil and stir in the tomato paste and basil. Remove from heat; gently stir in the sour cream and meatballs.
- Place over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until heated.
- Serve over buttered pasta or in a chafing dish as a first course.