Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another delectable roast chicken entree. The meat is herb infused with basil, and a garlic sauce is made from the pan juices and 30 cloves of roasted, sweet garlic! Make sure you clear your social calender for the next three days after eating this one!
- 1 chicken (about 2 1/2 to 3 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf (or other fresh herbs)
- 30 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the fat, neck, liver and gizzards from the body cavity, then rinse and pat the chicken dry.
- Gently separate the skin from the flesh, running your fingers from the front to the back of the chicken and along the leg and thigh, being careful not to rip the skin or detach it from the bird.
- Mix the butter, chopped basil, parsley, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Rub half of the butter mixture under the loosened skin and then tuck 1/2 of the whole basil leaves under the skin; be sure to get it under the skin around the leg and thigh.
- Put 4 of the garlic cloves into the body cavity of the chicken and scatter the rest in the roasting pan.
- Add the lemon juice and stock.
- Place the chicken, breast-side up, on top of the garlic and stock.
- Roast in the oven, basting occasionally with the pan juices for 1 hour, or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced.
- Transfer the chicken to a heated platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Pour the juices with the garlic cloves into a blender and puree the mixture.
- (The garlic skins will remain whole.) Strain the puree through a sieve into a medium-sized saucepan, pressing on the garlic skins with the back of a spoon.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carve the chicken and serve drizzled with the sauce and garnished with fresh basil leaves.
OMG, this is a garlic-lover's paradise!!! My dad didn't care for it, as he just doesn't understand the wonder and beauty of garlic. He said it was a bit too much for him, but if you are a galrlic-head, this recipe is a dream come true!!! I rated it 5 stars (and then some!!), regardless of my dad's comments, because I thought it was divine, and will definitely be making this recipe again!! (maybe when Dad is on vacation/lol)
I am a garlic head and this sauce is absolutely addicting!!! The chicken is, as said previously, the best I have ever made and most likely the best I have ever had even at a fancy restaurant. It is incredibly tender, very easy to make, and very flavorful. You have to be a garlic lover to enjoy this recipe... but if you are, you'll LOVE IT!!! I'm even using the sauce as a salad dressing because I can't get enough!!
OMG!!!! this is the best chicken i have EVER had!!!! It was easy and the taste was unbelievable!!! The only thing I did different was I used all the butter mix and basil leaves instead of 1/2. Nowhere does it say what you do with the other 1/2, kinda strange but seriously the best chicken Ever!!!