Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an old one from BH & G--a nice cold day soup and pretty healthy too.
Make and share this Basil Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (about 1/2 cup) or 4 button mushrooms, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces beef broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream (or plain low fat yogurt)
- fresh basil leaf (optional)
- Cook onion and mushrooms in hot oil over medium-high heat until onion is tender and light brown.
- Add potatoes, beef broth, and chicken broth. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Mix buttermilk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir into broth mixture.
- Stir in bacon and basil.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Top each serving with sour cream or yogurt and garnish with basil if desired.