Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
From taste of Home Magazine
Make and share this Basil Polenta With Ratatouille recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup pitted Greek olive, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh basil leaf
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Stir in basil.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the eggplant, onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, olives, oregano, pepper and remaining salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut polenta into four squares. In another large skillet, cook polenta in remaining oil in batches for 7-8 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with ratatouille; garnish with basil.
- Prep time does not include chilling time.