You might have trouble pounding the chicken flat enough to make the jelly-roll presentation, but that's ok...just fold it over once to make it look like a big clam :)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, with stems removed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
Sun Dried Tomato Cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine (I prefer Sauvignon Blanc or Reisling)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh basil
- 1⁄8 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with equal amount of water
- For Pesto, wash basil and remove stems. In food processor mix basil, garlic, pine nuts, pepper and Parmesan. Blend until smooth and slowly add oil.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness. Place one slice prosciutto and 1 T. pesto on chicken breast. Tuck in ends and roll jelly style. Secure with toothpicks.
- Drizzle with 2 T. lemon juice, chopped garlic and olive oil. You may either grill these or bake at 350 for 30 minute.
- While breasts are cooking make basil cream.
- Sauté shallots in butter. Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup Add cream and return to boil. Cook 8- 10 minute or until sauce is reduced to 1 cup.
- Whisk continually, add tomatoes and cook 2 minute Whisk in basil and lemon.
- Cook until heated thoroughly. To thicken sauce add cornstarch mixture slowly.
- Remove toothpick and cut the chicken breasts in slices to show off the center. Drizzle the chicken with sauce.
- **Serve this with your choice of pasta and dbl the sauce, or when it's just Dereck and I, I only make 2 chicken breasts and there is enough sauce for our pasta.