Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the owners of ‘ino, a NYC Italian sandwich bar.
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (using the small holes of a grater box)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened to room temperature
- In a blender or food processor, combine the olive oil, walnuts, pine nuts, garlic, and salt; pulse or blend until smooth.
- Add the basil in small handfuls, and pulse to combine.
- When all the basil has been blended in, transfer to a bowl; add in the Parmigiano-Reggiano and softened butter; mix well to combine.
- The olive oil should form a 1-inch layer above the pesto (this keeps the air out, allowing the pesto to retain its vivid color).
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Before using, let come to room temperature and stir well.