Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This is a simple yet sophisticated way to enjoy juicy cherry tomatoes. I like roasting tomatoes this way because it transforms their flavor into a sweet and savory treat. I serve them as a side dish, but they would also make a nice, light sauce for dressing spaghetti or penne. Instead of adding fresh basil at the end of the cooking process, I like to put one of my new favorite pantry items to good use--naturally basil-infused olive oil. The variety I used is locally-produced from F. Oliver’s Oils and Vinegars based in Canandaigua, New York (http://www.folivers.com/Fresh-Bright-Basil.html). (Note: If basil-infused olive oil is unavailable in your area, just add a sprinkling (2 tbs.) of chopped basil just before serving). Buon appetito!
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, sliced length-wise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, basil-infused
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, course ground
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (divided in half)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Onto a large baking sheet, spread sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using a rubber spatula or your hands, toss to fully coat tomatoes. Spread out into a single layer. Sprinkle evenly with one half of the grated parmesan.
- Roast for 10 minutes. With a spatula, lightly toss and spread out evenly again. Sprinkle evenly with remaining parmesan and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until tomatoes are wrinkled, the juice released thickens slightly and the parmesan cheese is browned (but not burned).