Recipe by grandma2969
this is a cookie from my hometown..North Manchester, IN...it is from a local woman who has a herb garden shop...wonderful cookie, the flavor becomes more pronounced as the cookies ripen...they taste best at room temperaure, though they freeze really well..this is a soft yellow cookie
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dried basil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- chopped pistachio nut, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- in a large mixing bowl, cream the granulated sugar and the shortening for 3 minutes.
- add the eggs and continue beting until blended.
- add the milk, mixing thoroughly.
- sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- add to the mixture.
- add the juice, rind and vanilla.
- then stir in the basil by hand.
- drop by heaping tspfuls onto greased cookie sheet, approximately 2" apart.
- bake for 10-12 minutes or until the top springs back when touched with your finger.
- remove to wire rack to cool.
- to make the frosting, combine all the ingredients except the pistachio nuts in a mixing bowl.and beat until smooth --
- the frosting should be rather thick, add more sugar as needed.
- spread a generous smear of frosting on each cookie and sprinkle on some pistachio nuts.
- pack the cookies in tins or plastic containers, using wax paper to serperate layers -- .