Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A yummy, flavourful, colourful sauce perfect for pasta, lasagna, casseroles, chicken, almost anything! I whipped this up after getting a sweet deal on some half price organic roma tomatoes - all I can say is delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 12 roma tomatoes
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive tapenade (this is a mixture of olives, capers, and other things, if you substitute plain olives it will not be)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried basil
- Heat the olive oil at medium heat in a large pot.
- Dice the onion and add to the oil, stirring often.
- Mince the garlic and add to the pot, again stirring often.
- Dice the tomatoes and add to the pot, stirring often.
- Chop the parsley, and add it, the olive tapenade, and the basil to the mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes mostly break up and the sauce thickens.
- ***Notes: You could substitute plain olives, green or black, minced, chopped, or sliced as to your preference (I haven't tried this), but I think the taste would be different since the tapenade has capers and other vegetables and seasonings in it that add to the sauce. ~ Fresh basil could also be used but I'm not sure about the correct substitution amount. The same goes for garlic powder in lieu of fresh garlic. ~ Sauce can easily be frozen in individual or family-sized portions for use later on. Store in plastic containers or strong ziploc bags.