Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
Burgers Italian-style. We love 'em.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices smoked mozzarella cheese or 4 slices regular mozzarella cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- fresh basil leaf
Red Sweet Pepper Relish
- 1⁄2 cup purchased roasted red pepper, strips
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pitted olive
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- To make relish: add the relish ingredients to the container of a food processor; cover and pulse until coarsely chopped; cover and chill for 2-3 hours.
- To make burgers: stir together the onion, bread crumbs, and bell pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add the ketchup, horseradish, mustard, salt and pepper to taste; stir to mix.
- Add the ground beef; stir to mix.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- Grill patties over medium heat for 7 minutes; turn and grill 7-11 more minutes or until done.
- Top patties with a slice of cheese during the last 2 minutes or grilling time.
- Serve patties on toasted whole wheat buns with red sweet pepper relish and fresh basil leaves.
We didn't try the relish. The FLAVOR of these burgers is REALLY good, however, we had a hard time getting them to stay together on the grill. Next time, we'll try pan frying.
Very good burgers!! Very tasty with the horseradish and mustard, but we especially liked the relish, love roasted red peppers and black olives and thyme is one of my favourite herbs. I would be tempted next time to add slices of the left over roasted red pepper to the finished hamburger with onion and tomato. The basil leaves were a nice touch, I may also add some chopped basil to the relish next time. Thanks for sharing a really good hamburger recipe.
"Excellent!" was what my husband declared. This one is a keeper, we both loved it. Simple, easy and very flavorful.