- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices smoked mozzarella cheese or 4 slices regular mozzarella cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- fresh basil leaf
Red Sweet Pepper Relish
- 1⁄2 cup purchased roasted red pepper, strips
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pitted olive
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make relish: add the relish ingredients to the container of a food processor; cover and pulse until coarsely chopped; cover and chill for 2-3 hours.
- To make burgers: stir together the onion, bread crumbs, and bell pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add the ketchup, horseradish, mustard, salt and pepper to taste; stir to mix.
- Add the ground beef; stir to mix.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- Grill patties over medium heat for 7 minutes; turn and grill 7-11 more minutes or until done.
- Top patties with a slice of cheese during the last 2 minutes or grilling time.
- Serve patties on toasted whole wheat buns with red sweet pepper relish and fresh basil leaves.