Recipe by Chef Edlear
a pleasant variation of this favorite summertime drink. prep time does not include the chilling time.
Top Review by Maito
I used a fourth of the vanilla so it wouldn't be too overpowering, but it was still very strong to me. The basil flavor is quite subtle, so I am wondering if what the other reviewers were detecting was the vanilla. I thought this would be great as a frozen dessert, so put it in the ice cream machine. It made an excellent and very fluffy "shave ice" that we thoroughly enjoyed!
- 3 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, slightly torn
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
- basil sprig (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat together the water, basil, vanilla bean and sugar in a large saucepan. When it just comes to a simmer, put on a tight fitting lid, remove from the heat and set aside to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain, add the lemon juice, and chill.
- Do not scrape the vanilla bean. Set it aside to dry and store to reuse the next time.
- Divide the lemonade among 4 - 6 tall, ice filled glasses and garnish with the lemon wedges and basil sprigs.