Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but plan on making it soon. I'm putting it here so I don't loose it.
- 1 lb loaf French bread
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- Slice French bread diagonally into 1 1/2-inch slices, cutting two-thirds through loaf.
- Heat oven to 400'.
- In small bowl stir together all remaining ingredients.
- Brush cut sides of French bread with olive oil mixture.
- Wrap in aluminum foil; place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
I made this following the recipe exactly using a mixture of butter and olive oil. The directions said to brush the cut sides with the mixture, but I found this hard to do, so I kind of spooned the mixture on the cut sides. At first I found the lemon too strong, but after 2 or 3 bites, the taste grew on me to the point that I like it very much. I think I just would have opened the aluminum foil for the last 5 minutes so the bread would be crispier. Thanks for posting!