Recipe by MarraMamba
This takes some of my favorite flavors, basil and lemon, marries them with grilled chicken and melting cheese on a hot grilled bun. yum. I will post the chicken recipe on its own as well (you can use scaloppine too, I prefer the thicker cut) What I do is cook the chicken for dinner making extras and use the leftovers for the panini :)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 9.85 ml fresh basil
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 1 loaf other rustic bread
- 59.14 ml basil pesto or 29.58 ml fresh basil
- 1 large tomatoes, beefsteak, sliced
- 170.09 g italian fontina, sliced
- 56.69 g fresh bagged Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- *For the chicken*.
- Zest the lemon and squeeze the juice, combine zest and juice with oil and garlic in a small bowl.
- Put chicken breasts between wax paper and pound to an even thickness.
- Place in glad bag or bowl with marinade and leave for 30 minutes to 20 hours.
- Grill chicken on bbq or broil it or even cook it in a hot skillet, 6-8 minutes approximately.
- Cut ciabatta into 4 sandwich size pieces or use whatever bread you prefer. put 1 tbs of pesto on both sides of bread. (or fresh basil).
- Add chicken, fontina cheese, tomatoes and spinach to each.
- Grill in panini press or in a cast iron pan with another heated cast iron pan on top of it to press it down until cheese is melted.