Recipe by Luvfood
This is a free form lasagna which is a tasty variation of a typical lasagna. It is a modification of a recipe found in Simply Perfect Italian magazine.
- 5 sheets fresh pasta, 12x4 inch rectangles
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Notes: I purchase store bought fresh pasta. For the Roasted Tomato Sauce the ingredients are listed from the tomatoes line. Having extra sauce on hands is suggested, when cooking with fresh pasta it dries out and gets chewy. I double the sauce recipe. Do not over-bake this recipe. Due to the cheese it will burn and get chewy.
- Variation: Add garlic to taste to the sauce, roasting it with the tomatoes is good. I also tried this with 1 pound of browned lean ground beef. I added a can of tomato sauce until the sauce was the right consistency to cover the lasagna with.
- For the filling stir together the cheeses, basil, oregano, thawed and completely drained spinach, black pepper to taste.
- Set aside filling.
- For the roasted tomato sauce preheat oven to 350.
- In a large roasting pan add all ingredients and bake for 1 hour until skins are slightly charred.
- Once cooled, blend quickly in a blender to coarsely chop (30 seconds).
- Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Place about 2/3 cup of the cheese filling on each pasta sheet.
- Spread evenly leaving a one inch border along the sides.
- Fold the two long sides over edges of filling, then with sides in place, roll up to form a packet that encases the filling.
- Place filled packets in a shallow casserole dish.
- Top each with 1/2 cup or more of sauce to cover the packet.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly (at 350 degrees I bake for 20-25 minutes) or lower oven temperature to 300 for 30 minutes.