Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This basil lamb casserole is a flavorful twist on your hamburger and macaroni standard. Ground lamb substitutes hamburger, Parmesan cheese substitutes cheddar, and basil is the added touch that brings the dish together.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups macaroni (uncooked)
- salt and pepper
- In a large sauté pan, cook onions and ground lamb in olive oil, on medium high heat, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and meat is cooked through. While cooking, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Boil a couple of quarts of water in a large saucepan, add a teaspoon of salt. Add macaroni, reduce heat to simmer. Cook until al dente – firm, not soft.
- In a large casserole dish, lay down layers of the meat, tomatoes, macaroni, basil & mint leaves, and Parmesan. Top with Parmesan. Cook in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
This is an extremely easy to make dish that is fast to put together. Very convenient for a work night meal when you don't feel like spending a lot of time preparing dinner. I thought it had really nice flavor for the simple list of ingredients. Fresh mint and basil are a must. Thanks for posting.