Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great way to use up some of your lovely basil in the herb garden.
Make and share this Basil Jelly recipe from Food.com.
- Bring 1 cup of the apple juice to a rolling boil and pour over the crushed basil leaves; let rest for 25 minutes.
- Strain liquid into large saucepan and add the other 2 cups of apple juice, vinegar, and green coloring, stirring to blend.
- Bring to a hard boil, and stir in sugar and pectin and return to a hard boil, stirring constantly, and cooking until jelly point is reached.
- Remove from heat and skim off the foam with a slotted spoon; remove leaves from jelly with a slotted spoon.
- Pour mixture into sterilized half-pint jars (you will need 3-4), leaving 1/2" of headroom at the top.
- Attach lids and bands, and process for 15 minutes in a water bath canner.
- When cool, check the seals.
- Refrigerate promptly any that do not seal properly, and remove bands from the others and store in a cool, dry area.
this is not my recipe but i made some corrections and it set just fine. I used 2 1/2 cups of apple juice, 1 1/2 cups of basil leaves chopped, 1/2 c cider vinegar, 5 1/2 cups sugar, 2 packets of liquid pectin. Bring 2 cups of apple juice to boil and pour over basil, let rest 25 min. strain, discard all but 1 tbsp. basil, and add 1/2 cup apple juice, vinegar, i did not use food colouring but added 1 tbsp. of basil. I also added 1/2 tsp butter as not to let mixture foam. Bring to a hard boil for 1 min. Remove from heat and add pectin. Reheat for about 30 sec. remove from heat and stir for 5 min. Pour into hot sterilized jars and attach lids and bands. Process 15 mins. in water bath> Mine have all sealed.
When I first saw this recipe, I wondered what I could put this on. After I made it, I was amazed at the flavor. It will be good on anything. The only thing is Sue, is that you didn't say in your directions to when to put the pectin in. I put it in after the sugar melted and came to a boil and then boiled it again for another minuite. I wasn't for sure when to put it in. I'm not very experienced at jelly making. I hope this sets up good. If you would please go back and add in "when" to put in the pectin. I would love to make this again sometime. LeeAnn
I know I am supposed to be writing a review - but I have not made this jelly yet. I was wondering what I would use the jelly for? Any suggestions?