Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
Another recipe from Fineliving.com; I am on an ice cream kick lately and couldn't chance losing it....
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 cup about 2 oz. fresh basil leaf, stems removed
- 3 teaspoons orange zest
- 8 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring cream, half (1 ounce) of basil leaves and orange zest to boil. Let steep for 30 minutes.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar until creamy
- Return cream to heat, just to the boil.
- Remove from heat and temper egg mixture with cream, return mixture to heat for just a couple of minutes being careful not to boil mixture.
- Cool in ice bath.
- Add remaining basil leaves and blenderize till smooth, let cool overnight
- Strain mixture and put into ice cream machine and make according to maker.