Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These potatoes have wonderful flavor from the added ingredients that they are cooked and mashed with. A bonus for any dinner. For a low fat version substitute lowfat sour cream instead of the cottage cheese & Buttermilk. I use 2 cubes of frozen fresh basil.instead of fresh chopped. I had some left over potatoes so I mixed some bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, made pattie from the potato, coated the patties with the cheese crumbs, fried with light spray of Olive oil MMMM very good
- Cover the potatoes with water add the celery, onion, garlic& salt.
- Cook until tender (apprx 15-20 minutes).
- Remove celery& discard.
- Drain well through a sieve so you don't lose the onion& garlic.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Combine Cottage cheese, buttermilk& Basil, add to potatoes, mix until smooth.
- Reheat over very low heat.
My daughter requested smashed Red potatoes, and I knew that I had this in my cookbook, so we gave it a try. I made with new red potatoes and used sour cream instead of cottage cheese because that is what I had on hand. These were wonderful, and will be a regular at our home.