Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a nice Indonesian salad, quick and easy to prepare and goes well with everything.
- 2 lbs cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 -2 medium red onion
- to taste currants (optional)
- to taste garlic powder
- to taste red pepper flakes or to taste white wine vinegar
- to taste water
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- Thin-slice the cucumbers and onions and put them in a container.
- Rip or chop the basil and toss it in.
- Pour in vinegar and water.
- I use less vinegar than water, but you want the vinegar a little strong so it will get into the cucumber.
- Sprinkle in some garlic, maybe 1/2 teaspoon? Let this marinate for at least 2 hours.
- It keeps well in the refrigerator for days.
- Add the tomatoes at the last minute.
We found this to be very tasty. Omitted the currents and used 1/2 cup each red wine vinegar and water. Thank you for the recipe.
Wonderful fresh taste the whole family loved it so very much. I also had to use the red wine and water. The basil made very good taste. This is a keeper for us. Thank You!
We thought this was ok, but seemed to be lacking something. The flavor wasn't bad, just there was no zing of taste to make it interesting. I used balsamic vinegar which was nice, but perhaps I need to use a different kind of vinegar?