Recipe by Sage
Low fat and low calorie in this wonderful tasting soup.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Have an excess of basil growing in my garden. Loved the fragrance and taste of it in this soup recipe. I doubled the chicken for more body. Needed a good shot of salt and pepper for my taste. Enjoyed with Italian Parmesan Bread for lunch. Thanks.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, chopped fine
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 to 3 quart pan, combine butter, onion, and garlic.
- Stir occasionally over medium heat until onion is limp and slightly tinged with brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour to coat onion.
- Gradually stir in broth, and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add potato and carrots; cover and simmer over low heat until potato is tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add chicken; cover and simmer just until chicken is hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in basil.
- Ladle into bowl and offer cheese to add to taste.