Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Southern Livings healthy and light section.
- 8 ounces uncooked rotini pasta
- 24 ounces chicken breasts
- 2⁄3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces. Place between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Dip chicken in egg substitute, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Brown chicken in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Stir together pasta sauce and basil; spoon half of sauce into baking dish. Arrange chicken in an even layer over sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly around edges.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley. Serve chicken over hot cooked pasta.