Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from "Southern Living" magazine, January 2006. Excellent and delicious!
Make and share this Basil Chicken Parmigiana recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces uncooked rotini whole wheat pasta
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (26 ounce) jar low fat prepared pasta sauce (low-fat, if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (low-fat, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (heavy duty); flatten to 1/4-inch thick using a rolling pin or meat mallet.
- Combine 2/3 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg substiture, and pull through breadcrumb mixture.
- Brown chicken, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Stir together pasta sauce and basil; spoon half of sauce into an 11x7-inch baking dish. Arrange chicken in an even layer over sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until mozzarella is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley Serve chicken over hot cooked pasta.
Ymmy! Iwas looking for something new to make for my DH diet. This was perfect. I used low fat sauce and cheese.