Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from "Southern Living" magazine, January 2006. Excellent and delicious!
Make and share this Basil Chicken Parmigiana recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces uncooked rotini whole wheat pasta
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (26 ounce) jar low fat prepared pasta sauce (low-fat, if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (low-fat, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (heavy duty); flatten to 1/4-inch thick using a rolling pin or meat mallet.
- Combine 2/3 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg substiture, and pull through breadcrumb mixture.
- Brown chicken, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Stir together pasta sauce and basil; spoon half of sauce into an 11x7-inch baking dish. Arrange chicken in an even layer over sauce; pour remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until mozzarella is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley Serve chicken over hot cooked pasta.
Ymmy! Iwas looking for something new to make for my DH diet. This was perfect. I used low fat sauce and cheese.