1/7 Photos of Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce
This recipe was a 1997 Grand Prize Winner in Better Homes and Gardens! Enjoy! Chicken needs to stand for 30 minutes before cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- hot cooked rice
- fresh basil (optional)
- 1Rinse chicken, pat dry.
- 2Cut into 1" pieces.
- 3Place in medium bowl.
- 4In small bowl stir together the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander,, cumin, salt, pepper, turmeric, and chili powder.
- 5Sprinkle over chicken, toss to coat.
- 6Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or in fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
- 7In a large nostick wok or skillet cook and stir onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers in hot oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- 8Remove onion mixture.
- 9Add about half of the chicken to the wok or skillet.
- 10Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or till chicken is tender and no pink remains.
- 11Remove chicken from pan.
- 12If necessary, add more oil.
- 13Cook and remove remaining chicken as above.
- 14Stir together coconut milk and cornstarch.
- 15Carefully add to wok or skillet.
- 16Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- 17Return chicken and onion mixture to skillet.
- 18Stir in snipped basil and gingerroot.
- 19Cook and stir about 2 minutes more or till heated through.
- 20Serve over rice.
- 21Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
- 22Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.1
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 446.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 27.8 g