Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens via bakedbree.com
Make and share this Basil Chicken in Coconut recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno, depending on your taste, seeded and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- In a small bowl, combine the spices in a small bowl. Add the chicken pieces to a large plastic bag and sprinkle the spice mixture over. Toss so the spices cover all of the chicken. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. You could also do this early in the day and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
- Dice the onion, garlic, and jalapenos. Grate the ginger and set aside.
- Cook the onions, garlic, and jalapeno in a large saute pan with one tablespoon of olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Transfer the mixture to a plate.
- Add more olive oil if needed, and cook half of the chicken until brown on both sides. Take out of the pan and cook the other half.
- Mix together coconut milk and cornstarch.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan and cook until it begins to thicken. Make sure that it comes up to a bubble.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pan, adding the basil and ginger. Check for seasoning, add more salt and pepper as needed.