Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. It does NOT contain Chicken Broth. It is excellent served as is, but can also be served with a Chunky-Style Tomato Sauce. *Please NOTE: This dish requires preparations done a day ahead. The overnight chilling time is NOT included in my given time estimates.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (*or 2 tsp dried crushed basil)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- If using fresh basil leaves, snip them up into little pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mozzarella, the parmesan, and the basil.Set aside.
- For the polenta, in a medium saucepan bring 2 3/4 cups of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Stir the cup of COLD water into the cornmeal mixture.
- SLOWLY add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water,stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until the mixture returns to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes, or until mixture is very thick, stirring often.
- Pour 1/3 of the hot mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese blend.
- Repeat the same two layers again, using another 1/3 of the hot mixture, and the remaining 1/2 of the cheese.
- Pour over the last 1/3 of the hot mixture.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the polenta, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the uncovered polenta into the hot oven for about 40 minutes, or until lightly browned on top, and heated through.
- Let the polenta stand for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.