Recipe by Melissa and Her Pants
Try stirring it into hot pasta, polenta, or mashed potatoes; tossing it with cooked vegetables; melting it over grilled meats; or serving it softened, with bread. This recipe can easily be doubled. Cooking time is optional chill time. The butter will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for a month. From Fine Cooking 79
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the butter, basil, garlic, lemon zest, white pepper, and 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and mash with a spoon until well combined.
- Use immediately as a spread for corn on the cob, grilled vegetables, or dinner rolls. Or use plastic wrap to shape the basil butter into a log, tightening the ends as if it were a sausage. Refrigerate until very firm. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick coins and melt over just-off-the-grill chicken or pork cutlets, fish fillets, or vegetables.