Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely dinne buscuit.
- 0.5 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 -3 tablespoons basil, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- In large bowl, stir the yeast, sugar and water together and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the buttermilk, herb, salt and baking soda, and mix well.
- Stir in half the flour with the melted butter.
- Continue adding flour till the mixture forms a soft sticky dough.
- Scrape down the bowl and form a ball (do not knead).
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for ½ hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle a board or pastry cloth with flour and turn out dough.
- Pat dough into a rectangle about 1-inch thick and cut into squares.
- Set on ungreased baking sheet and let rise again for ½ hour.
- Bake in middle of preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, till tops are golden brown and biscuits are firm.
- Serve warm.