Recipe by flowers22
This recipe is from a local Thai cooking class I took. The instructor tried to adapt the traditional recipe to use locally-available ingredients. This is delicious - different than any other fried rice we've had before. The Thai basil (I found it in an Asian grocery store in the city) really makes a difference.
Top Review by JennyMidget
Would have been vastly improved by the inclusion of a few vegetables - there was very little texture to this. We found that the fish sauce overpowered pretty much all the other flavours too.
- 1⁄2 lb beef, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 Thai red chili peppers, green or 2 red chilies
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mortar, pound garlic and chili, set aside. You can use a food processor or other chopper if you don't have a mortar.
- Heat oil in pan to medium heat and stir in garlic/chili mix until aromatic.
- Add beef and stir until no pink shows.
- Add rice, fish sauce, and sugar - stir and let cook 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in basil leaves (Thai basil is best).
- Serve with sliced cucumber.