Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I named this dish after my dear friend and neighbor's pet potbelly pig. His name is Basil Bacon and I thought if I ate enough of this dish, I would certainly start to resemble him :) When your ready to splurge on a rich and comforting dish, give it a try.
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped with tops
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 9 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice pototoes into 1/4 inch slices. Place potatoes in pan of boiling water and par-boil for about 8 minutes and drain.
- Fry bacon until crisp and crumble.
- In a 2.5 L casserole dish, layer 1/2 of each ingredient in this order: potatoes, salt, pepper, dot with butter, onions, green onions, basil, bacon, and cheese.
- Repeat layers with rest of the ingredients.
- Pour heavy cream over top and cover. Bake for 30 minutes, remove cover and bake for another 15 minutes until top is slightly browned and bubbling.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
Wonderful potatoes, and very easy to put together. I used pre-cooked and crumbled bacon to save time. Very rich and flavorful, and a great side for a pork roast. I halved the recipe easily and baked in the convection toaster oven.