3 hrs 15 mins
My husband got a smoker for Christmas which we have been enjoying immensely...this recipe looks like it will be delicious adapted for its use...posted here so I won't lose it and so others can enjoy...from Wild Oats website. I will post exactly as they described...obviously if using an electric smoker you can omit the charcoal. This is a variation on the old classic "tortured chicken" posted on this website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup hickory chips
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 lbs whole chickens
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- 6 ounces white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1Soak wood chips in water for 1 hour. Prepare charcoal grill for indirect grilling by placing a foil pan in the center of the grill and arranging charcoal around the pan; heat to medium.
- 2Mix together salt, sugar, paprika and pepper; set aside.
- 3Remove neck and giblets from chicken; discard.
- 4Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 5Rub chicken lightly with oil.
- 6Loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing between skin and meat.
- 7Season chicken with spice rub; under the skin, and inside and out.
- 8Insert basil leaves under the skin.
- 9Drain wood chips and place half on the hot coals.
- 10Brush grate with oil.
- 11Fill an empty 12 oz soda or beer can with wine and herbs and place on a solid surface.
- 12Hold chicken upright, with body cavity facing down, and insert beer can into cavity.
- 13Place chicken in the middle of the grate with its legs spread out, forming a tripod to support the chicken.
- 14Cover and grill 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 180°F and the juices run clear.
- 15Add remaining wood chips after an hour and hot charcoal as required.
- 16Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- 17Carefully remove can from chicken and discard.
- 18Carve and serve with your favorite sauce and sides.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basil and Wine Infused Smoked Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 765.3
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 213.8 mg
- Sodium 3696.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 51.0 g