Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is Wilton's recipe for yellow cake that can be stacked. "Use this simple recipe to create a Basic Yellow Cake. This cake can be used in any cake, cupcake, loaf, or specialty pan. It provides a nice canvas for decorating and can be filled with your favorite filling." I often use this recipe for as a neutral cake that I drizzle juice over then layer with fruit or as a canvas for flavored fillings before decorating. Makes a good base for super sweet icings and fondant cakes. I add at least one extra egg if I will be making a stacked, wedding style cake for extra firmness to guarantee it doesn't fall when adding heavy fondant covering. Trust me that even though the cake may seem dense and firm, once stacked and towering it WILL fall apart without extra eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans and line with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together until light.
- Add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Continue beating one minute.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Fill and frost as desired.