Rich, moist and delicious. I use this recipe as the basis of almost every cake I make, adjusting flavourings for variety. Examples are: adding lemon or orange zest; replacing some of the flour with cocoa powder for chocolate cake; almond flavouring; adding chopped apple or peaches. Endless possibilities. A real reliable standby.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and margarine.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk until well blended.
- Spread batter evenly into greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake for 27 to 35 minutes on middle rack, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire rack.
- Cool completely and frost or fill as desired.
- Cake can also be baked in a 13 x 9 inch or Bundt pan.
- For orange marble cake: reserve 1 cup of the batter add to it 2 to 3 squares melted and cooled semi-sweet chocolate, add orange zest to remaining yellow batter and swirl chocolate batter through orange batter for marbled effect.
I made this in a bundt pan so I could use it as a base for some strawberry shortcake. It took about 42 minutes to test done. The flavor was richer on day two, but I actually think it would be even better with another teaspoon or two of vanilla. I used butter instead of margarine, and buttermilk was my choice of milk.
Per some of the other reviews, I followed the recipe to the tee..I did have to use a little more buttermilk to thin the batter out. Swirled in some chocolate also. Everybody RAVED about the cake, very moist. You just have to watch that you dont overcook it. Its incredibly good.
This cake is very moist and had a great taste!! I made mine into cupcakes and they tasted great topped with chocolate frosting. My husband loves yellow cake and I wanted to find a homemade recipe, but every cookbook I looked in just called for a boxed cake mix. This was the first homemade cake I have ever made and it turned out perfect!! Thanks for posting!!